- The cellular and molecular mechanisms of sensory and motor recovery after SCI.
- Identifying the role of inflammatory mechanisms in impeding exercise-induced improvements in function after SCI
- Developing rehabilitative therapies that promote recovery of mobility.
Neuroscience; Motor Control;
- Identify neurophysiological mechanisms of the motor control systems in the brain, specifically the corticospinal and reticulospinal systems and how they interact for the control of reaching.
- Biomechanics of movement
Assistive Technology; Rehabilitation Engineering
- Study the application of science and technology to improve the quality of the life of the individuals with disabilities.
- Identify the role of nutrition and wheelchair seating systems on the development of pressure ulcers,
- Determine the effect of wheelchair rugby on the overall health of the shoulder
- Asses the assistive technology service delivery process through the use of the outcome measures.
- Expand the role of rehabilitation engineering in the field of assistive technology.
Health Outcomes; Quality of Care
- Health services and outcomes research
- Quantitative research methodology and data analytics
- Development and validation of patient reported outcome measures
Pediatrics; Neuroscience, Cerebral Palsy
- Optimize motor function and development of young children with CP. Sensory/motor Impairment.
- Outcome measures to define disease progression in spinal muscular atrophy
- Study the role of Neurodegenerative Diseases in balance, gait and other functions
- Determine the onset and severity of mobility issues in individuals with Huntington's disease and Lewy Body Dementia
- Create and test mobility and exercise interventions in aging individuals or those who have neurodegenerative disease.
Neuroscience; Degenerative Diseases
- Neurodegenerative diseases
- Determining effective interventions to ameliorate balance and gait impairments and prevent falls in individuals with Huntington's disease, Parkinson's disease, and Multiple Sclerosis.
- Examine the effects of interventions such as the use of rollator walkers, playing the videogame Dance Dance Revolution, treadmill walking, and administration of the anti-choreic medication tetrabenazine on balance and gait measures.
- Create and test targeted interventions to improve or maintain balance and gait functions through intensive training or medication to induce neuroplastic changes rather than through compensation.
Neuroscience; MRI; Brain Processing; Stroke
- The impact of CNS injury, rehabilitation methods, and natural recovery on neural networks and reorganization.
- The impact of sensory and cognitive dysfunction and secondary neural reorganization on functional and quality of life outcomes in patients post-stroke.
- Preparing professional students to work as interdisciplinary teams to provide healthcare services to at risk populations, living in poverty.
- Improving and providing evidence-based care that maximizes protective factors and facilitates personal growth among underserved or stigmatized youth