Admission to the Master of Respiratory Therapy (MRT) Program is competitive. Applicants whose credentials are the most complete and who present the highest qualifications are accepted for admission. Completion of the stated selection criteria does not assure admission to the MRT program.
- CoARC ACCREDITED DEGREE: Graduate of a Bachelor of Science or MS degree from a CoARC accredited Entry Level Respiratory Therapy program, or a CoARC accredited Degree Advancement Program in Respiratory Care; to determine if an applicant’s program is CoARC accredited, please visit https://coarc.com.
- RT IN GOOD STANDING: Applicants must be a Registered Respiratory Therapist in good standing as evidenced by NBRC official credential verification letter (see Application Materials).
- GPA: A minimum cumulative GPA of 3.0 on a 4.0 scale. The GPA will be computed using ALL grades earned from ALL institutions attended, and only applicants with a cumulative GPA of a 3.0 or higher (on a 4.0 scale) at the time of application will be evaluated for possible admission.
The following materials must be submitted to be considered for admission to the MRT Program.
- TRANSCRIPTS: All transcripts from all coursework an applicant has completed must be submitted.
RESUME: Applicants must submit a resume that includes evidence of at least 1 year of experience in their desired clinical specialty: adult critical/emergent care, pediatric critical care, neonatal critical care, pediatrics, primary respiratory care, neuromuscular respiratory care, or sleep disorders.
PERSONAL STATEMENT: All applicants are required to submit a personal statement that shows that they have an established and direct career pathway and have chosen a desired clinical specialty. The statement should explain why they have decided to pursue a career as an MRT, as well as how an MRT degree relates to the applicant’s immediate and long-term professional goals, and describe how their personal, educational, and professional background will help them to achieve their career goals.
REFERENCE EVALUATIONS: All applicants are required to submit contact information for three references who can provide personal and/or professional evaluations. The applicant must include:
- One (1) licensed and practicing physician with whom the applicant has spent time clinically in the applicant’s desired clinical specialty
- One (1) professor or instructor in the applicant’s undergraduate course of study; if the applicant cannot obtain a reference in this category, a 2nd licensed and practicing physician that meets the criteria above can serve as their 2nd reference
- One (1) current or former employer
Your references will be asked to complete an evaluation on you and attach a letter of recommendation. Applicants are not permitted to use family members for evaluations.
The following guidelines aim to improve the letter writing process in order to benefit both letter writers and the admission committee: Guidelines for Writing a Letter of Recommendation for an Applicant to OSU’s MRT Program
NBRC VERIFICATION LETTER: All applicants must submit an official NBRC Verification Letter attesting that the applicant is a Registered Respiratory Therapist. Applicants can visit the NBRC website, https://practitionerportal.nbrc.org/directory/all, to download a letter template, save the letter as a PDF, and upload it to their application. If an applicant does not have an OH license, they will receive assistance from the program in obtaining an OH license before they can begin clinicals.
Application Process and Dates
Application Process & Deadlines
- APPLICATION – Applicants must first apply through Ohio State's Graduate and Professional Admissions website
- REVIEW – The RT Division will review applications from November to mid-March
- INTERVIEW – Interviews will be held for competitive applicants in March and April
- ADMISSION DECISIONS – End of April
- October 1, 2022 - Application opens
- December 1, 2022 - Early Action/Fellowship Deadline
- March 1, 2023 - Priority Deadline
- July 31, 2023 - Application deadline
- August 15, 2023 - Tuition due for autumn semester (initial fee date)
- August 22, 2023 - First day of classes