Director, Health Information Management & Systems Division
543 E Atwell Hall
453 W. 10th Ave.
Columbus, Ohio 43210
Primary Professional Areas of Interest
- Formative and summative evaluation
- Coded and administrative data
- Implementation Science
- Qualitative methods
Dr. Garvin is currently the Division Director and Associate Professor in the Health Information Management and Systems Division in the School of Health and Rehabilitation Sciences. She develops applied informatics tools and methods to advance clinical and public health practice. She is currently a VA Research Health Scientist and an Affiliated Investigator as well with Center for Health Information and Communication at the Richard L. Roudebush VAMC, Indianapolis, IN. In terms of clinical practice, she and her team develop natural language processing tools to improve care for chronic systolic heart failure in the Department of Veterans Affairs (VA). Through several VA Health Services Research and Development grants she developed the Congestive Heart Failure Information Extraction Framework (CHIEF) which she used to automate heart failure quality measurement and she has extended the design to provide data for a decision support clinical reminder for titration of beta blocker therapy in primary care. As part of this research she also studies the contextual factors related to implementation of CHIEF using the Promoting Action on Research Implementation in Health Services framework, the Sociotechnical Model for Health Information Technology (HIT) Model, and User-centered Design to guide the research. These approaches allow her to study how to use HIT to facilitate the adoption of evidence into clinical practice, to partner with clinicians and other stakeholders in development, and to design and deliver clinical content so that it supports decision making.
Dr. Garvin has also advanced public health practice by working with the Utah Department of Health to evaluate and evolve the Utah All Payers Database, by undertaking informatics projects through Utah CMMI State Innovation Model grants (including efforts to support end of life care and care coordination between primary care and behavior health providers), and served as an informatics subject matter expert for the Utah Cancer Registry with regard to meaningful use implementation and to conduct informatics research with the Utah NCI SEER Cancer Registry.
Dr. Garvin earned her PhD in Health Studies from the Department of Public Health at Temple University in Philadelphia, PA. Her postdoctoral training in Medical Informatics occurred at the Center for Health Equity Research and Promotion (CHERP) sponsored by the Department of Veteran Affairs (VA) at the Philadelphia VA Medical Center (PVAMC) in association with the University of Pennsylvania School of Medicine (SOM). She is also a Health Information Management (HIM) professional with over 30 years of experience in HIM and Applied Informatics. Prior to coming to The Ohio State and the Indianapolis VAMC, she was an Associate Professor in the Department of Biomedical Informatics at the University of Utah and served as a VA Salt Lake City Health Care System (SLCVAHCS) Geriatric Research Education and Clinical Center Affiliated Faculty, and as a Core Research Investigator at the SLCVAHCS Informatics Decision Enhancement and Surveillance (IDEAS) Research Center.
Meystre SM, Kim Y, Gobbel GT, Matheny ME, Redd A, Bray BE, Garvin JH (2017). Congestive heart failure information extraction framework for automated treatment performance measures assessment. J Am Med Inform Assoc, 24(e1), e40-e46.
Garvin JH, Kim Y, Gobbel GT, Matheny ME, Redd A, Bray BE, Heidenreich P, Bolton D, Heavirland J, Pickard S, Kelly N, Williams J, Reeves R, Jayaramaraja S, Kalsy M, Goldstein MK, Meystre SM (2018). Automating Quality Measures using Natural Language Processing: A Descriptive Study in the Department of Veterans Affairs. JMIR Med Inform, 6(1), e5.
Cheng Y, Shao Y, Weir CR, Shah RU, Bray BE, Garvin JH, Zeng-Treitler Q (2018). Predicting Adverse Outcomes in Heart Failure Patients Using Different Frailty Status Measures. Studies in Health Technology and Informatics, 2017(245), 327-331.
Garvin J, Cardwell J, Doing-Harris K, Bolton D, Snow L, Hawley C, Xu W (2018). Collaborative Evaluation for the Utah All Payer Claims Database Capacity Enhancement. Technology and Investment, 9(2), 91-108.
- 1983 Outstanding Student Advisor, Temple University
- 1995 Outstanding Service Award, West Jersey Health System
- 2001 American Health Information Management Association (AHIMA) Foundation for Research and Education (FORE) Merit Scholarship
- 2002 American Health Information Management Association Volunteer Recognition Award, Scholarship Review Committee
- 2004 Fellow, American Health Information Management Association (FAHIMA)
- 2006 Certificate of Achievement in Recognition of Outstanding Public Service,
- 2006 Bronze Medalist, Excellence in Government Awards Program,
- Group Award to the Center for Health Equity Research and Promotion
- 2007 On the Spot Award, PVAMC
- 2008 Distinguished Member, Pennsylvania Health Information Management Association
- 2008 Triumph Award, Research, American Health Information Management Association
- 1979 - 1983 B.A. Temple University (Psychology) Philadelphia, PA
- 1983 - 1988 A.S. Gwynedd-Mercy College (Health Record Technology) Gwynedd Valley, PA
- 1989 - 1996 M.B.A. Saint Joseph University (Health Care) Philadelphia, PA
- 1993 - 1994 Certificate Gwynedd-Mercy College (Medical Record Administration) Gwynedd Valley, PA
- 1999 - 2004 Ph.D. Temple University, Department of Public Health (Health Studies) Philadelphia, PA
- 2005 Certificate Marine Biological Laboratory/National Library of Medicine Spring Course, Fellow (Medical Informatics) Woods Hole, MA
- 2005 - 2008 Postdoctoral Fellow Philadelphia Veterans Affairs Medical Center (PVAMC) Center for Health Equity Research and Promotion (Medical Informatics) Philadelphia, PA
- 2005 - 2006 Certificate University of Pennsylvania School of Medicine, Department of Biostatistics and Epidemiology (Clinical Research Certificate) Philadelphia, PA
- 2005 - 2007 Graduate Certificate Oregon Health and Science University (Graduate Certificate Biomedical Informatics) Portland, OR
- 2016 No Degree Offered ResearchTalk and Odum Institute (Qualitative Research) Chapel Hill, NC
- 2016 No Degree Offered The Evaluators Institute, Claremont Graduate University (Evaluation) Claremont, CA
- 2017 - Present No Degree Offered International Healthcare Standards Development Organization (Healthcare Standards) Copenhagen, Denmark