Our program is in the top tier among programs nationally, thanks to the variety and quality of opportunities that you will find here.
Ohio State Athletic Training is a flagship program with a well-established international reputation for excellence. Our graduates' board exam performance consistently places us in the top tier among programs nationally and there are few programs that can offer the variety and quality of opportunities that you will find here. While we have a competitive program, this is also a program where everyone knows you by name and every instructor is invested in your personal and professional success. Come join our legacy of excellence and leadership in the field.
Pending approval, Ohio State's current Bachelor of Science in Athletic Training (BSAT) degree program will transition to a Master of Athletic Training (MAT) degree program in accordance with changing accreditation requirements. We anticipate that incoming freshman for Autumn 2019 will be our final cohort of the BSAT program and will begin the professional phase of the BSAT in fall 2020. We anticipate that our new MAT program will launch in Summer 2021.
Our mission is to provide exceptional education; to deliver outstanding patient care; to define the practice of Athletic Training through research and scholarship; and to improve the world around us through leadership and service.
Our vision is to work as a team shaping the future of Athletic Training through teaching, mentoring, discovering, creating, caring, serving and leading.
Our values serve as a compass for our actions and describe how we conduct ourselves.
- EXCELLENCE – we are not satisfied with mere competence but instead strive to reach our maximum potential.
- INTEGRITY – we do things the right way, even when it isn’t the easy way.
- ACCOUNTABILITY – we accept responsibility for our decisions and actions and are answerable for them.
- LEADERSHIP – we work to create, share and realize a vision for the future.
- INNOVATION – we are not limited by conventional wisdom but look to create a better way.
- TRADITION – we honor our proud heritage and carry-on the legacy of those who went before us.
- SERVICE – we “pay it forward”, giving our time, effort and expertise to improve the world around us.
- COMMUNITY – we value and respect all people, seeing our differences as strengths we can leverage to make us better and help us achieve our common goal.
A culture of excellence for more than a century
Our history goes back to 1909 when Stephen Farrell was hired as the university’s first “trainer”. Athletic Training education at Ohio State likely began with Ernie Biggs (class of ’39). Ohio State’s Athletic Training legacy includes 9 members of the National Athletic Trainers' Association Hall of Fame, 19 members of the Ohio Athletic Trainers' Association Hall of Fame, and numerous other award winners.
Over the last ten years, 98% of our students passed their national board exam on their first attempt.
Of our last 160 consecutive students, 159 have passed their national board exam on their first attempt. Our sustained record of excellence is not an accident. It's an expectation. Our graduates are in demand and most graduates have been hired 30 days after graduation.
Our program is guided by four goals:
- To graduate students who are ready for independent practice.
- To graduate students who will become leaders in Athletic Training and/or the Medical Community.
- To graduate students who are engaged in serving the larger community.
- To graduate students who will be future innovators.
Ohio State University's Bachelor of Science in Athletic Training is fully accredited by the Commission on Accreditation of Athletic Training Education (CAATE), 6850 Austin Center Blvd, Suite 100, Austin, TX 78731-3184, phone: 512-733-9700. Our most recent comprehensive accreditation review was in 2008 and we were awarded a 10-year accreditation period (the maximum possible). Our next comprehensive review is slated for 2018-2019.