228H Atwell Hall
453 W. 10th Ave.
Columbus, Ohio 43210
Professional Areas of Interest
- Child and adolescent health
- Childhood injury prevention
- Sport-related concussion
- Mental health promotion
- Implementation and evaluation research
Dr. Sullivan is committed to promoting the health and well-being of children and adolescents through rigorous, interdisciplinary research and the translation of research into policy and practice. The overarching goal of Dr. Sullivan’s research program is to design, implement and evaluate effective health behavior change interventions that improve the mental and physical health and well-being of children and adolescents and reduce health disparities.
Her research to date has focused on child and adolescent health promotion, with a particular focus on injury prevention and control and mental health promotion. Dr. Sullivan’s research in childhood injury prevention has focused primarily on sport injury research, with a particular focus on sport-related concussion in children and adolescents. Much of her current work centers on concussion education, prevention, management, and behavior change among children and adolescents. Dr. Sullivan’s second focus of research is on the development, implementation, and evaluation of health promotion programs, with particular interest in the development of theory-based injury prevention programs and mental health promotion programs for children and adolescents.
Dr. Sullivan’s research is framed within the social ecological model, and consequently, she works across individual, interpersonal, community, and policy levels. Furthermore, Dr. Sullivan is a mixed methods researcher and therefore she uses both qualitative and quantitative methodologies in her research.
- Sullivan, L., Carter, J. E., Houle, J., Ding, K., Hautmann, A., & Yang, J. (2021). Evaluation of a resilience training program for college student-athletes: A pilot study. Journal of American College Health, 1-8.
- Sullivan, L., Wysong, M., & Yang, J. (2022). Concussion recovery in children and adolescents: a qualitative study of parents' experiences. Journal of school health, 92(2), 132-139.
- Sullivan, L., Newton, A., Shi, J., Chang, T. J., & Yang, J. (2021). Concussion‐Related Health Care Utilization Among Medicaid Insured Children in Ohio: Rural and Urban Differences. The Journal of Rural Health, 37(3), 479-486.
- Sullivan, L., Xu, M., Alshaikh, E., Yeates, K., Hudson, H.G., & Yang, J. 117 Trajectories of daily symptoms and associated factors among children and adolescents following concussion. Oral presentation at the 2021 Society for Advancement of Violence and Injury Research National Conference, Washington D.C., April 2022.
- Sullivan, L., Ding, K., Tattersall, H., Yang, J.Z. Source of social support and post-injury depression and anxiety among college student athletes. Accepted for oral presentation at the 2020 Society for Advancement of Violence and Injury Research National Conference, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, April 2020.
- 2018, PhD, National University of Ireland Galway, Health Promotion
- 2013, MA, National University of Ireland Galway, Health Promotion
- 2012, BS, Lafayette College, Psychology