406B Atwell Hall
453 W. 10th Ave.
Columbus, Ohio 43210
Phone: (614) 292-1608
Primary Professional Areas of Interest
- Health and public policy
- Clinical education through simulation & interprofessional collaboration
- Aging and caregiving
- Mental Health (Opioid Substance Use Disorder)
A primary goal of health care professionals is to provide client-centered effective quality care while being cognizant of efficacy and costs. Most health care providers however lack the appreciation of the significant impact and influence public and health policies play in achieving these goals. Dr. Robinson’s research interests include examining how policy impacts practice and reimbursement through the analysis of current and emerging reimbursement policies and systems. Specific areas of practice interests include aging, caregiving, and mental health (Opioid Substance Use Disorder).
As a Clinical Associate Professor, Dr. Robinson also researches the use of simulations in education to bridge the gap between the classroom and the clinic. She participates in collaborative research as a member of the Education for Clinical Interprofessional Simulation Excellence Program; a collaborative program designed for undergraduate and graduate/professional students from ten disciplines to participate in collaborative patient care through patient – provider team-based simulations. This program and other experiences provide opportunities for students to interact and work together to care for complex simulated patients. The overarching goals of the interprofessional or occupational therapy only simulations is to practice and improve clinical skills, client-centered approach to care, teamwork, communication skills, and facilitate a better understanding of various professional roles.
Juckett, L. A. & Robinson, M. L. (2018). Implementing evidence-based interventions with community-dwelling older adults: A scoping review. American Journal of Occupational Therapy, 72, 7204195010p1-7204195010p9. doi:10.5014/ajot.2018.031583
Juckett, L. A., Robinson, M. L., & Wengerd, L. R. (in press 2018). Narrowing the gap: An implementation research agenda for the occupational therapy profession. American Journal of Occupational Therapy.
Robinson, M., Fisher, T. F., & Broussard, K. (2016). Role of occupational therapy in case management and care coordination for clients with complex conditions. American Journal of Occupational Therapy, 70(2), 7002090010p7002090011- 7002090010p7002090016. doi: 10.5014/ajot.2016.702001
Robinson, M.& Brown, R. (2010). Meeting the needs of the client who is not homebound. Home health & community AOTA Special Interest Section, 17(1), 1-4.
Robinson, M., & Berner, T. F. (2009). OT Practice Featured Article: Power mobility safety assessment in facilities. OT Practice, 14(17), 9 - 13.
Robinson, M., & Thomas, J. (2009, September). Looking to the future of the therapy caps. AOTA Administration & Management Special Interest Section Quarterly, 25(3), 1–3. Invited manuscript.
Robinson, M., Herz, N., & Brennan, C. (2009). Program development and beyond: Creating a sustainable program. OT Practice, 4(15), CE1-8. OT Practice Featured Continuing Education Article. Invited manuscript.
Robinson, M., Sergakis, G., Clutter, J., Nahikian-Nelms, M., Rohrig, L., Thomas, E., & Liston, B (2018). (Poster) A Model for Excellence in Interprofessional Simulation Education. 2018 American Occupational Therapy Association Annual Conference, 4/21/2018, Salt Lake City, Utah.
Juckett, L. & Robinson, M. (2018) (Poster)Role of Occupational Therapy in Managing Food-Related Activities Performance Among Older Adults. 2018 American Occupational Therapy Association Annual Conference, 4/21/2018, Salt Lake City, Utah.
Robinson, M. & Weaver, L. (2018). Occupation of Heroin and Opiate Addiction: Using Evidence to Guide Occupational Therapy Intervention. 2018 American Occupational Therapy Association Annual Conference, 4/20/2018, 1.5 hrs, Salt Lake City, Utah.
DiGiovine, C., Robinson, M., Berner, T. & Faieta, J. (2018) Assistive Technology Interdisciplinary Education: Grassroots Development Within an Occupational Therapy Program. 2018 American Occupational Therapy Association Annual Conference, 4/19/2018, 1.5 hrs, Salt Lake City, Utah.
Rohrig, L., Legg, J., Liston, B., Nahikian-Nelms, M., Robinson, M., Sergakis, G., & Thomas, E, Presenter. “Education for Clinical Interprofessional Simulation Excellence Program (ECLIPSE).” Presented at International Meeting on Simulation in Healthcare: 2017 Conference, Patients the Heart of Simulation. Orlando, FL (January, 2017).
Robinson, M, Weaver, L, & Storar, H. (2017). Heroin Addiction: Occupation Loss and Rediscovery, an Occupational Therapy Model for Recovery (1.5 hours).
2017 Annual Ohio Occupational Therapy Association Conference, Toledo, Ohio, United States. 1.5 hours. (11/4/2017) - Invited Presentation
Robinson, M, Weaver, L, & Storar, H. (2017). Heroin Addiction: Occupation Loss and Rediscovery, an Occupational Therapy Model for Recovery (1.5 hours). 2017 American Occupational Therapy Association Annual Conference and Centennial Celebration on March 31, 2017, Philadelphia, PA.
Nahikian-Nelms, M., Sergakis, G., Robinson, M., Clutter, J., & Thomas, E., Lecturer. “Transforming Culture through the Education for Clinical Interprofessional Simulation Excellence Program.” Presented at OSU Academy of Teaching Conference on Excellence in Teaching & Learning at Ohio State University, Columbus, Ohio, United States. 1 hour. (5/4/2017)
Robinson, M, Weaver, L, & Storar, H., Lecturer. “Occupation of Heroin Addiction: An Occupational Therapy Model for Heroin Recovery.” Presented at the Annual Ohio Occupational Therapy Association Conference, Toledo, Ohio, United States. 1.5 hours. (10/29/2016)
Kohl, K., Gorman, K., Kennedy, V., & Robinson, M., Poster. “Role of Occupational Therapy in Human Trafficking”. American Occupational Therapy Annual Conference & Expo 2016: Evidence & outcomes: Empowering the Profession. Chicago, IL (April 2016).
- 2018 National - AOTA Service Award, Opioid Drug Abuse Ad Hoc Committee (Chairperson)
- 2016 National - AOTA Service Award, Telehealth CPT Coding Workgroup
- 2015 National - AOTA Service Award, Mental Health and Healthcare Reform
- 2014 National - AOTA Service Award Central Committee Member
- 2013 National - Ad Hoc Committee on Health Care Reform
- 2013 National - AOTA Service Award Affiliated State Association Presidents
- 2012 National - AOTA Service Commendation Award - Adhoc Healthcare Reform Committee
- 2011 National - AOTA Service Award, AOTA Policy Advisor – CMS STATS Project
- 2010 National - AOTA Service Award, SNF Medicare Policy Advisor
- 2010 National - AOTA Service Award, AOTPAC Board of Directors
- 2010 National - AOTA Service Award, Nominating Committee Gerontology SIS
- 2009 National - AOTA Service Award, Professional Development Coordinator, Administration & Management Special Interest Section
- 2009 American Occupational Therapy Association’s Roster of Fellows – FAOTA "Exemplary Contributions to Leadership, Mentoring, and Advocacy"
- 2009 Boston University - Outstanding Alumni Award
- 2009 San Jose State University - Distinguished Alumni Award
- OCCTHER 700 - Introduction to Occupational Therapy
- OCCTHER 711 - Functional Group Dynamics in Occupational
- OCCTHER 712 - Occupational Development Across the Life Span and Life Events
- OCCTHER 713 - Occupational Therapy and Task Analysis
- OCCTHER 714 - Foundation of Occupational Therapy Practice
- OCCTHER 742 - Occupational Therapy in Mental Health II
- OCCTHER 748 - Occupational Therapy in Gerontology
- OCCTHER 752 - Planning and Management of Occupational Therapy Services
- OCCTHER 793 - Individual Studies (3.00) [Falls in Older Adults]
- OCCTHER 793 - Individual Studies (3.00) [Leadership]
- OCCTHER 6110 - Occupational Therapy Foundations & Theory
- OCCTHER 6120 - Occupation in Life and Community
- OCCTHER 6130 - Occupational Therapy Introductory Practicum
- OCCTHER 6140 - Occupational Therapy Process
- OCCTHER 6189 - Level I Fieldwork in Mental Health
- OCCTHER 6220 - Mental and Cognitive Function: Evaluation and Treatment
- OCCTHER 7189 - Occupational Therapy Fieldwork II
- OCCTHER 7420 - Management and Leadership
- OCCTHER 7260 - Occupational Therapy for Older Adults
- OCCTHER 7280 - Advanced Topics in Geriatrics
School of Health and Rehabilitation:
- ALLIMED 601 Death, Loss and Grief from Multiple Perspectives
- ALLIMED 760S (Service Learning) SAMP: Service Learning in Merida, Yucatan, Mexico
- ALLIMED 889.01 - Practicum: Educational [Global Health Practicum-Belize]
- HTHRHSC 4370 - Community and Policy Influence in Health Care
- HTHRHSC 5600 - Global Aging
- HTHRHSC 5610 - Death, Loss, and Grief in Multiple
- HTHRHSC 7650S - Interdisciplinary Case Studies in Clinical Gerontology
- HTHRHSC 7620 Aging, Accessibility, and Design
- 1985: BS, Occupational Therapy, Boston University
- 2006: MS, Advanced Practice Occupational Therapy, San Jose State University
- 2015: OTD, Clinical Doctorate of Occupational Therapy, Chatham University