Health Information Management & Systems Division
543 Atwell Hall
453 W. 10th Ave.
Columbus, OH 43210
Primary Professional Areas of Interest
Research FocusPatient information is central to all health related functions including diagnosis and treatment, reimbursement, legal action, outcomes assessment, research, education, strategic planning, consumer outreach and public health. The protection and appropriate utilization of that information is vital as it is constantly being created, used and disclosed as part of these and other myriad functions. I focus on the synthesis and dissemination of knowledge related to privacy, security, and other legal issues associated with health information.
My scholarly activity is comprised primarily of writing textbooks and accompanying literature for both faculty and students. My works address laws that regulate the privacy and security of protected health information, other healthcare legal issues, and practical application.
Harman L. and Cornelius, F. (eds.), Ethical Health Informatics, 3rd edition, Jones and Bartlett Publishers, Sudbury, Massachusetts (2017). Rinehart-Thompson, L., author of book chapters:
- Privacy and Confidentiality (lead author)
- Compliance, Fraud and Abuse (author)
- Drug, Alcohol, Sexual, and Behavioral Health Information (lead author)
- Health Law (author)
- Data Privacy and Confidentiality (author)
- Data Security (author)
Brodnik M., Rinehart-Thompson, L., Reynolds, R. (eds.), Fundamentals of Law for Health Informatics and Information Management, 2nd edition, AHIMA Press, Chicago, Illinois (2012). Rinehart-Thompson, L., author of book chapters:
- The Legal System in the United States (author)
- Civil Procedure (author)
- The Legal Health Record: Maintenance, Content, Documentation, and Disposition (lead author)
- The HIPAA Privacy Rule (author)
- Security Threats and Controls (co-author)
Recent PresentationsRinehart-Thompson, L., Casto, A., Brodnik, M., White, S. “Clearing the Final Hurdle: The RHIA Exam As a Condition of Graduation.” American Health Information Management Association Assembly on Education. Austin, Texas, July 21, 2015.
Rinehart-Thompson, L., White, S. “Integrating Data and Information Governance Throughout the HIMS Curriculum.” American Health Information Management Association Assembly on Education. Chicago, Illinois, July 29, 2014.
Rinehart-Thompson, L., White, S. “De-Identification of PHI: Who? What? When?” American Health Information Management Association Convention & Exhibit. Atlanta, Georgia, October 28, 2013.
- HIMS 3520: Fundamentals of Health Information Management
- HIMS 5545: Fundamentals of Healthcare Law and Ethics in Health Information Management and
- HTHRHSC 5370: U.S. Healthcare Policy and Delivery System
- HTHRHSC 4350: Legal Concepts in Health Care
- 1987: Bachelor of Science in Allied Health Professions, The Ohio State University
- 1994: Juris Doctor, The Ohio State University Moritz College of Law