Director of Academic Affairs
Clinical Professor, Director of Coordinated Dietetic Education Programs206A Atwell Hall
453 W. 10th Ave.
Columbus, OH 43210
Primary Professional Areas of Interest
Research FocusDr. Marcia Nahikian-Nelms’ research is driven from both her responsibilities in curricular teaching and clinical education. Her research goals are as follows:
- To provide synthesis and development of evidence based medical nutrition therapy to support clinical practice
- To assess the effectiveness of alternative teaching environments for use in dietetic education and higher education
- To provide clinical nutrition expertise for ongoing research projects within the OSU College of Medicine, the Wexner Medical Center, Nationwide Children’s Hospital, community partners and our graduate program.
Dr. Nahikian-Nelms additional focus area is to provide synthesis and application of evidence based research for use within nutrition therapy practice. This work is demonstrated with the publication of her textbook – Nutrition Therapy and Pathophysiology and through her contributions to the Nutrition Care Manual published by The Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics.
Nahikian-Nelms ML, Roth SL. Medical Nutrition Therapy: A Case Study Approach. 5e. Belmont CA: Cengage Learning, 2016.
Nelms ML, Sucher K, Lacey K and Long S. Nutrition Therapy and Pathophysiology. 3e. Belmont CA: Cengage Learning, 2015.
Kittler P, Sucher K, Nelms M. Food and Culture. 7e. Belmont: Cengage Learning, 2016
Holthaus V, Rohrig L, Justice S, Kirkpatrick B, McClerking C, Thomas E, Legg J, Sergakis G, Nahikian- Nelms ML. The Impact of Interprofessional Simulation on Dietetic Student Perception of Communication, Decision-Making, Roles, and Self-Efficacy. Topics in Clinical Nutrition. 2015; 30: 127-142.
Rohrig L, Wilcox J, Burlingame S, McClerking C, Legg J, Eichenauer K, Heinke V, Nahikian-Nelms ML, Thomas E, Sergakis G,Robinson M, Liston B. "Transforming Culture through the Education for Clinical Interprofessional Simulation Excellence Program." National Academies of Practice in Medicine. Baltimore, Maryland. (2016).
Bills H, Bronston A, Williams A, Clutter J, Spees C, Burdo-Hartman W, Nahikian -Nelms M. "It's all in the recipe. Assessment and comparison of homemade blenderized formula to commercial formula." American Society for Enteral and Parenteral Nutriton. Austin TX. (2016).
- MD 4910, MD 4923: Nutrition Care Process – Medical Nutrition Therapy and Pathophysiology
- MD 5189, 5289, 5389: Dietetic Professional Practice I,II,III
- MD 5800: Advanced Nutrition Therapy in Complex Disease States
- MD 6200: Diabetes Management
- MD 6389: Critical Care Nutrition
- 1978: B.S., Public Health Nutrition, University of North Carolina- Chapel Hill
- 1982: M.Ed., Foods and Nutrition, University of North Carolina Greensboro
- 1995: PhD, Health Education, Southern Illinois University
- 2014: Fellow, Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics