Assistant Professor of Health and Rehabilitation Sciences
Director of Rehabilitation Engineering Design Laboratory (RED)
443D Atwell Hall
453 W. 10th Ave.
Columbus, Ohio 43210
Professional Areas of Interest
- Assistive Technology Design & User Testing
- Data-driven Engineering
- New Product Development for Less-resourced Settings
Dr. Mhatre’s research focuses on wheelchair design, maintenance and standards. He applies data-driven engineering methods and usability testing to build new tools and technologies for the assistive technology sector nationally and internationally.
Mhatre A., Pearlman J., Schmeler M., Krider B. & Fried J., 2021, ‘Community-based wheelchair caster failures call for improvements in quality and increased frequency of preventative maintenance’, Spinal Cord:Nature.
Mhatre A., Martin D., McCambridge M., Reese N., Sullivan M., Schoendorfer D., Wunderlich E., Rushman C., Mahilo D. & Pearlman J., 2017, ‘Developing product quality standards for wheelchairs used in less- resourced environments’, African Journal of Disability 6(0), a288.
Scientific Platform Presentation, ‘Development of a preventative maintenance technology using participatory action research’, Rehabilitation Engineering Society of North America Annual Conference, July 2022, Arlington, VA.
Technology Panel Presentation, ‘Using 3D Printing to Empower People with Disabilities to Create Their Own Meaningful Devices’, March 2022, American Occupational Therapy Association Inspire 2022, San Antonio, TX.
Presentation, ‘Can we monitor oral health using digital technologies?’, New York Academy of Sciences/Japan Agency for Medical Research and Development Meeting, February 2022, New York, NY.
- NIH R03, PVA Research Foundation Grant, NAM Awards, USISTEF Grant
- Winning scientific papers selected for Rehabilitation Engineering and Assistive Technology Society of North America Annual Conference and American Occupational Therapy Association Inspire Conference 2020-2022
- Pitt Innovator Award, University of Pittsburgh, 2017
- 2018, PhD, University of Pittsburgh, Rehabilitation Science
- 2011, MS, North Carolina State University, Integrated Manufacturing Systems Engineering (Minor: Electrical Engineering)
- 2007, BE, University of Mumbai, India, Mechanical Engineering