Clinical Assistant Professor
516 Atwell Hall
453 W. 10th Ave.
Columbus, Ohio 43210
Phone: (614) 685-3564
Primary Professional Areas of Interest
- Cardiopulmonary Physical Therapy
- Acute Care
- Stroke rehabilitation
My research interests focus on cardiorespiratory physical therapy in the acute care setting, including pre and post physical therapy assessment and interventions in patients undergoing cardiothoracic surgery, such as heart and lung transplant. I have also studied early mobilization in critically ill patients in intensive care settings, including patients requiring mechanical circulatory and respiratory support. I also have an interest on physical performance and activity assessments in the later stage post- stroke, including cardiorespiratory fitness, walking performance, muscle strength and self-reported physical activity.
Rafsten L, Meirelles C, Danielsson A, Sunnerhagen KS. Impaired motor function in the affected arm predicts impaired postural balance after stroke: a cross sectional study. Front. Neurol 2019. 10:912.
Danielsson A, Meirelles C, Willén C, Sunnerhagen KS. Physical activity in community-dwelling stroke survivors and a healthy population is not explained by motor function only. Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation Journal 2014 Feb; 6(2):139-45.
Carvalho C, Sunnerhagen KS, Willén C. Walking performance and muscle strength in the later stage post-stroke: a non-linear relationship. Archives of Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation 2013 May; 94(5): 845-50.
Interventions to promote liberation from mechanical ventilation in critically ill adults. Meirelles C. Professional Issues Post Graduate Training Presentations, Therapy Services, University of Chicago Medical Center, IL, USA. July 2018.
Improvement in Cardiorespiratory Function, Mobility and Endurance after a Prolonged Course Post Bilateral Lung Transplant: a Hermansky-Pudlak syndrome case report. Meirelles C. Eastern District Meeting, Illinois Physical Therapy Association. University of Chicago Medical Center, IL, USA. May 2018
Assessment of walking speed and distance in different environments of subjects in the later stage post-stroke. Carvalho C, Sunnerhagen KS, Willén C. 5 th World Congress of the ISPMR 2009, Istanbul, Turkey. June 2009
- PT 6415: Principles and Procedures in PT practice II
- PT 8272: Cardiopulmonary Rehab
- PT 8674: Advanced Therapeutic Interventions and Progressions
- 2018: Critical Care Physical Therapy Fellowship, University of Chicago Medical Center- Chicago, USA
- 2012: PhD in Rehabilitation Medicine, Institute of Neuroscience and Physiology / Department Clinical Neuroscience and Rehabilitation, University of Gothenburg- Gothenburg, Sweden
- 2002: “Lato sensu postgraduate” degree in Cardiorespiratory Physical Therapy, Brazilian Institute of Rehabilitation Medicine- Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
- 2000: Bachelor’s degree in Physical Therapy, Brazilian Institute of Rehabilitation Medicine- Rio de Janeiro, Brazil