Board-Certified Orthopaedic Clinical Specialist, Emeritus
Certified Manual Therapist
516 Atwell Hall
453 W. 10th Ave.
Columbus, Oh 43210
Telephone: (614 )688-8131
Fax: (614) 292-5921
Primary Professional Areas of Interest
- Manual Therapy
My areas of research have included investigation of the utility of the Functional Movement Screen (FMS) for injury prediction in high school, college, and professional athletes in a variety of sports, as well as educational research in the areas of physical therapist students’ self-efficacy in critical inquiry and the diagnostic process. My current research interests include investigation of interprofessional education and the use of simulation in physical therapy education, investigation of alternative clinical education models, and student outcomes research.
Borstad AL, Deubler D, Appling SA, Spangler L, Kloos A. (2017). "Professional Values are Implicit in Written Reflections by DPT Students in a Short Term International Service Learning Course." Journal of Allied Health (in review).
Appling SA, Holtgrefe K. Prevention, Health, and Wellness. In: Kisner C, Colby LA, eds. Therapeutic Exercise: Foundations and Techniques. 7th ed. Philadelphia, PA: FA Davis; 2017.
Appling SA, Rose JM, Dyess B, Elosiebo S, Folk A, Laverty C, McConnell R, White B, Yeager MG. “The Functional Movement Screen as a Predictor of Injury in NCAA Division III Collegiate Athletes.” Control ID: 1843540. Poster presentation at APTA NEXT Conference and Exposition, June 13, 2014, Charlotte, NC. APTA NEXT Conference 2014 Abstract Special Recognition Award.
Appling SA, Rose JM, Colasso R, Escajadillo R, Jeanfreau A, Long C, Vogan N, Yoon M. “The Functional Movement Screen as a Predictor of Injury in Division I and II Collegiate Baseball Athletes.” Control ID: 1520090. Poster presentation at APTA, Annual Conference June 28, 2013, Salt Lake City, Utah
Rose JM, Appling SA, Azar F, Azzam MG, Throckmorton TQ. “The Functional Movement Screen as a Predictor of Injury in Professional Basketball Players.” Control ID: 1520904. Poster presentation at APTA, Annual Conference June 28, 2013, Salt Lake City, UT
- Board of Directors, American Physical Therapy Association, 2015-2018
- Lucy Blair Service Award. American Physical Therapy Association, 2014.
- Presidential Award for Excellence in Physical Therapy. Tennessee Physical Therapy Association, 2015.
- Carol Likens Award. Highest service award of the Tennessee Physical Therapy Association, 2011.
- Distinguished Alumnus Award. University of Central Arkansas, Department of Physical Therapy, 2006.
- Outstanding Service Award. Tennessee Physical Therapy Association, 2004.
- Excellence in Teaching Award. Student Government Association Executive Council, University of Tennessee Health Science Center, 2001, 1999.
- PHYSTHR 7220 Musculoskeletal Diagnosis and Management I
- PHYSTHR 8210 Musculoskeletal Diagnosis and Management II
- PHYSTHR 8610 Advanced Orthopedics
- PHYSTHR 7012 Documentation and Reimbursement
- PHYSTHR 8013 Contemporary Practice
- PHYSTHR 8060 Healthcare in America and Impact on PT
- PHYSTHR 8999 Thesis
- 1985: BS Natural Science, Christian Brothers University, Magna Cum Laude
- 1987: BS, Physical Therapy, The University of Central Arkansas;
- 1992: MS, Health, Physical Education & Recreation, Concentration: Fitness and Wellness, The University of Memphis
- 2006: PhD, Educational Psychology and Research, The University of Memphis
- 2008: DPT, The University of Tennessee Health Science Center