Pastoral and Spiritual Care
Chaplains serve as members of the care team, providing supportive pastoral, emotional and spiritual care. Our professional chaplains are theologically and clinically trained, and have special education and advanced training in ministering in the hospital setting.
If you would like a visit from a chaplain, prayer, a Bible or other sacred text from a specific faith tradition, communion or other religious, spiritual or pastoral support, please contact us.
- Department of Chaplaincy Main Campus - 614-293-8791 or 3-8791 from 8 a.m. to 4 p.m.
- Department of Chaplaincy East Hospital - 614-257-3255 or 7-3255 from 8 a.m. to 4 p.m.
- During any other time, call the hospital operator at 614-293-8000 or 3-8000
Our Sanctuaries, or chapels, are open 24 hours a day and are located:
- Main campus – in the fifth floor Atrium (Rhodes Hall)
- Main campus – on the first floor of The James
- East Hospital – on 3 North
Worship services are held throughout the week and on special religious holidays.
Ecumenical Christian Prayer Service
- Tuesdays at 12:30 p.m. in The Pauline and Leonard Schnipke Sanctuary in The James
- Sundays at 11 a.m. in Ernie's Cafe in Dodd Hall
- Wednesdays at 12:30 p.m in the Atrium on the main campus
- Thursdays at 12:30 p.m. in The Pauline and Leonard Schnipke Sanctuary in The James
- Fridays at 1:30 p.m. in the Atrium on the main campus
The Department of Chaplaincy and Clinical Pastoral Education also educates the next generation of pastors and chaplains through Clinical Pastoral Education (CPE) programs and other education offerings. Learn more about Clinical Pastoral Education at Ohio State.
We strive to keep people healthy and improve their quality of life. You can find many resources about a variety of health topics on our Patient Education website. These resources were created with clinicians and health educators to help you make informed decisions about your health care. Our Patient Education materials are for informational purposes only. Your doctor and healthcare team will talk with you about your specific needs and treatment choices.
Interpreter ServicesThe Ohio State University Medical Center extends our commitment to personalized health care by meeting the unique cultural needs of our patients. Interpreters are available, if you have limited English proficiency or are deaf or hard-of-hearing. Please let your caregiver know verbally, in writing or by pointing to our “I speak posters” to help identify your language.
If you would like to have a medical interpreter throughout your appointment, please request this service while scheduling your appointment or let your healthcare team know at any time. Our services include on-site, telephone and video interpreters. Please contact Interpreter Services at 614-293-3369 or 3-3369.
For TTY and/or other auxiliary aids at:
- Dodd Hall, OSUCCC – James, Ross Heart Hospital and University Hospital: call Patient Experience at 614-293-8944 or 3-8944 weekdays from 8 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. All other hours, call the hospital operator at 614-293-8000 or 3-8000 and ask for the hospital administrative manager on duty
- East Hospital: call Patient Experience at 614-257-2310 or 7-2310 from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. Monday-Friday. All other hours, call the hospital operator at 614-257-3000 or 7-3000 and ask for the administrative nursing supervisor
Visitors who require service animals may take their animals to patient care areas with the exception of the intensive care unit. Service animals must remain leashed and with the visitor at all times. If you need a crate for a service animal, contact the Security Department at 614-293-8500 or 3-8500.
Patient Experience Team
The Patient Experience Department is dedicated to making your stay as pleasant and comfortable as possible. Our team is available to assist with any non-medical question or concerns related to your stay. All interactions between patients, or their representative, and our staff are confidential. If you would like to speak with a patient relations coordinator, please call Patient Experience:
Patient Experience Main Campus - 614-293-8944 or 3-8944
Patient Experience East Hospital - 614-257-2310 or 7-2310
Library for Health Information
The Ohio State Library for Health Information can help you find trustworthy, valid information on any health topic. This information complements the health education you are receiving from your Ohio State healthcare providers. The library can help you understand more about health, illness and treatment choices, find out about alternative medicine and clinical trials and gain a better understanding of questions to ask your healthcare team.
Visit the library in the 5th floor atrium of Rhodes Hall. Call for hours. Or, contact the library by email or call 614-293-3707. Information can be delivered to you within the hospital or by mail at no charge.