- Noninvasive and painless
- (10 to 15 minutes) exam, leading to faster treatment decisions
- Reduces the number of elastographies and biopsies, saving money and recovery time
- Covered by most insurance companies
Is FibroScan® right for you?
FibroScan® is ideal for patients who have steatosis and fibrosis in certain liver conditions, including:
- Fatty liver/ Nonalcoholic fatty liver disease (NAFLD)
- Nonalcoholic steatohepatitis (NASH)
- Hepatitis B and C
FibroScan® should not be used if you are pregnant or have an implantable electronic device.
What is a FibroScan® exam like?
You will lay on your back with your right arm raised behind your head. Your healthcare provider will apply a water-based gel to your skin and then place the probe on the right side of your ribcage. You may feel a slight vibration on your skin, but it will be momentary and painless.
How does FibroScan® work?
FibroScan,® also called transient elastography, measures the stiffness of your liver by emitting a small pulse of energy. The more damaged or stiff the liver, the more rapidly the energy waves will pass through it. FibroScan® calculates the speed of this energy and gives your healthcare provider an immediate measure. Not only can exam results be used to monitor and assess liver damage, they can be used to anticipate complications as well.
Why Ohio State?
As a leading academic medical center, we’re always striving to provide the latest and best evidence-based diagnostic tools and treatments for our patients. Speak to your doctor to see if Fibroscan® is right for you.
Referring PhysiciansComplete our one-page Universal Referral Form and specify
- Department or specialty area: Hepatology
- Reason for referral: FibroScan
- We will contact your patient directly to schedule a convenient appointment time.
- We will send you confirmation of your patient’s appointment for your records via mail, fax or DocLink, depending on your contact preference.