Associate Clinical Professor and Division Director, Health Sciences and Medical Dietetics
306C Atwell Hall
453 W. 10th Ave.
Columbus OH 43210
Primary Professional Areas of InterestEducation in dietetics, geriatric nutrition, gerontology education; long-term care: food systems, resident satisfaction, employee job satisfaction, quality assurance; scholarship of teaching and learning; careers in dietetics; young children and gardening
Research FocusEducation in dietetics, geriatric nutrition, gerontology education; long-term care: food systems, resident satisfaction, employee job satisfaction, quality assurance; scholarship of teaching and learning; careers in dietetics; young children and gardening
Most Recent Publications
- Van Dussen, D., Leson, S., Emerick, E., Voytek, J., & Ewen, H. (2016). Assessing needs for gerontological education in urban and rural areas of Ohio. Journal of Education and Training Studies, 4(1). Accepted for publication.
- Mincher, J., & Leson, S. (2014). Worksite wellness: A viable career option for dietetics practitioners. Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics, 114(12). http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.jand.2014.08.016
- Leson, S., Van Dussen, D., Ewen, H., & Emerick, E.S. (2014) Differences among preferred methods for furthering aging education in Ohio. Educational Gerontology. 40: 847-857. http://dx.doi.org/10.1080/03601277.2014.907068
- Leson, S., Van Dussen, D. & Ewen, H., & Emerick, E. (2014) Perceived gerontology educational needs for dietetic professionals in Ohio. Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics, 114(9), A-16.
- Leson, S. (October, 2015). Quality nutrition and dietetics education: Present realities, future innovations. Food and Nutrition Conference and Exposition (FNCE), Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics, Nashville, TN.
- Leson, S., Van Dussen, D. & Ewen, H. & Emerick, E. (September, 2014) Perceived gerontology educational needs for dietetic professionals in Ohio. FNCE, Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics, Atlanta, GA.
- Leson, S., Van Dussen, D. & Ewen, H. & Emerick, E. (November, 2013). Assessing gerontological needs for continuing and graduate education in urban and rural areas of Ohio. The Gerontological Society of America, Washington DC.
Courses TaughtFood Systems Management; Quantity Foods; Long-term Care Supervised Practice; Nutrition, Aging and Health; Food Systems Management Supervised Practice; Supervised Practicum; ServSafe Certification; Introduction to Human Ecology; Normal Nutrition
Major Awards$2,500 Margene Wagstaff Fellowship in Dietetic Education Innovation (2012). Leson, S. Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics This Fellowship is awarded to a Program Director from an accredited program in dietetics to pursue scholarly innovations in education. The funds will be utilized to support a needs assessment study pursuant to the development of a proposal to advance the Coordinated Program in Dietetics to a Master’s Coordinated Program in Dietetics.
$10,000 Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics, Diversity Committee (2012). Mincher, J. & Leson, S. The Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics Diversity Promotion Grant provides to support minority recruitment and retention projects by dietetic education programs accredited/approved by the Accreditation Council for Education in Nutrition and Dietetics (ACEND), Dietetic Practice Groups, Academy Affiliates, and Member Interest Groups. The promotion grant will be used to market careers in dietetics to males of all cultures. The project will be conducted through the Youngstown State University Department of Athletics summer football camp.
$2,500 Raymond John Wean Foundation (2011). Hawkins, Leson, Mincher, Pavia, Pohle-Krauza, & Rowlands. Veg G Buddies: Effects of Gardening Intervention on Diet Quality.
- PhD, Dietetics and Hospitality Administration, Kansas State University
- Graduate Certificate, Gerontology, Kansas State University
- Master of Science, Food and Nutrition, Northern Illinois University
- Verification Statement, Dietetic Internship, Miami Valley Hospital
- Bachelor of Science, Dietetics, College of St. Teresa